Text Size

About York County Garagemen's Association

Community Service

For the past 25 years, York County Gargemen's Association has been giving back to the York County community by awarding two top students in the automotive field.  YCGA has awarded many students from York County School of Technology and William F Goodling Regional Advanced Skills Center that have proven to be leaders and excell in the automotive field.  Student have been receiving either tool awards or a scholarship to further their success in the automotive industry in York County!  Our goal is to keep new technology skills in the area and make our members aware of the students that excell every year in the automotive field!

Mission Statement

The York County Garagemen's Association, Inc.  (YCGA)  includes businesses that pertain to the automotive industry.  The purpose of the YCGA is to encourage members to adopt high ethical standards in conducting their business.  YCGA is committed to fostering good fellowship and sportsmanship while imparting wholesome business practices, assisting with rendering, better services for the general public, and protecting and cooperating with all legitimate organizations and businesses involved with the parts and service portion of the auto and truck industry. 

History of the YCGA 1944-present

After WWII

The York County Garagemen's Association continues to operate with many of the same goals that it established during it's early years.  During WWII, many soldiers were trained to work on motorized vehicles, a skill that they brought back to the York County area after the war was over.   Many of our current York County businesses were established by these trained veterans.

The membership list of 1944 shows several of the same members today! This list includes Carl Beasley Ford, then at 722 W Market St, York; Beshore & Koller, Manchester; Dover Garage, Dover; Fink’s Garage (then Finks Brake Service) 929 Rear Linden Ave, York; Shiloh Garage , then RD#1, York; and Square Deal Garage, Spry.

Many of YCGA events that we have today have been held since the early 1950’s. One of our early bus trips was to see the first 1956 T-bird built at the factory.  Ladies night and a yearly banquet were established.  In 1963, Ladies night at the Dover Fire Hall cost a whopping $2 per adult.  Children under 12 were only 75 cents.

 

Continuing Today...

 

Over the years, YCGA strived to serve their members by adding health insurance in the 1970’s and later added Dental and Vision and Life coverage. Access to a Credit Union for all members was also an addition to benefit members.

In 1979, the Garagemen honored their original members and celebrated their 50th anniversary.

 

Politically, the Garagemen have been active in petitioning to better the automotive industry.  In 1976,  YCGA contacted the US Senate in regards to the Clean Air Act.

 

1981, YCGA voiced their opinions again and fought against the once a year inspection (from twice a year), due to the wear and tear on automotible parts.  The mechanics felt that brakes, tires, battery and oil should be checked more frequently than once a year.  The bill was passed into PA law, anyway.  However, as older cars are removed from the road,   today's technology has made a once a year inspection feasable.

 

More recently, in 2003, the PA state emission inspection became a hot topic.  YCGA worked with the state to make an easy transition for mechanics as well as automobile owners.

History of YCGA 1929-1930

Early History

 

 

York County Garagemen’s Association (YCGA) was established in 1928 by twelve men who called themselves the “Dirty Dozen”.  The “Dirty Dozen” got their name due to their work under the automobiles. An early auto mechanic dealt not only with the grease and oil of the engine, but often found themselves muddy as well, because all of the roads were just dirt.  In the 1920’s, the automobile was little more than a new fangled machine, that was just starting to replace the horse and carriage as a mode of transportation.  Early automobiles weren’t often known to be reliable and required skilled mechanics to repair them.  So, the YCGA was formed by these early mechanics with the purpose of sharing tips and solving problems of the auto business and repairing of cars. 

 

YCGA’s first officers were Lewis Kershner, president; Ralph K. Reel, vice president; A.J. Glatfelter, secretary; M.H. Fry, assistant secretary, and H.E. Detwiler, treasurer.  Trustees were R.H. Strayer, A.B. Musser, Roy Roth, M.S. Ebersoll, and L.O. Green. Two more members, George Leitheiser and Landon Reisinger, made up the “Dirty Dozen”.

 

The association decided early in 1929 to hold a member’s meeting the third Thursday of each month, and a board of director’s meeting the first Thursday of each month.  This practice continues today.  That same year they were responsible for endorsing the “ PA State Inspection Act of 1929”.   Private Daniel Boas was appointed the first state police inspection officer.   Some interesting bit of history for York County area; hourly rates in garages in 1929 was $1.00 per hour and hourly wages for that year for mechanics was $.58 per hour!       

 

Dues were first collected in January of 1930 assessing every member an annual fee of $10.00, and payable quarterly in advance on the first days of January, April, July and October.  As today, this yearly dues continues to serve the members in many ways.

 

RokMiniEvents

No Calendar Events Found or Calendar not set to Public.